November 20, 2019
A new phenomenon at DevDays is the Patient Innovator Track. This track shows that patients can and should be the ultimate beneficiaries of FHIR. The Patient Innovator Track provides a stage to patients who have taken control of their health by using the data of their disease and their treatment, or app developers who enable patients to do so.
The Patient Innovator Track takes place on Wednesday November 20th, the first day of the event. During 10 minutes’ pitches in the plenary room, the participants get the opportunity to demo their achievements.
Applicants first compete for an invitation to DevDays. Those who are invited, compete for the Patient Innovator Award. A jury will select the best presentation from the participants. The award is a contribution in kind by a sponsor. This could be free tooling or cloud services, developer or consultancy resources, space in the app store, promotion etc.
Why consider applying for the Patient Innovator Track?
- Get connected to the FHIR ecosystem and learn about the specification that is transforming the industry
- Reach a community of health IT professionals potentially helping you to take your solution to next level
- Connect with EHR vendors and discuss integration opportunities
- Discuss with forward-looking medical professionals on how to embed the solution into medical practice
Who should apply?
The Patient Innovator Track is intended for patients who have applied information technology, allowing them to get better insight in their disease or treatment, to take control of their health, or to improve the quality of their lives. Developers who have built patient facing apps with the same goals, are also invited to apply, as long as they have active patient engagement in building their product.
The jury reviews applications based on the following criteria:
- Direct impact on the patient’s health or treatment
- Empowerment of the patient to take control
- Possible relevance for other patients, ideally as an app that might use FHIR someday
- Proven usage in daily life
Your entry can be related to an app, a hardware device producing data, or some smart way of using your health data in any other way. Your app, device or whatever you have accomplished does not need to be FHIR-enabled (yet). Do not be ashamed of anything amateurish from an IT perspective. But you do need to be able to give a live demo of your achievement.
Submit your application by filling out the form before October 1st, 2019. We have room for four participants. The selection will be announced on October 8th, 2019. The Patient Innovator Track will be cancelled in case of insufficient interest.
We are looking for sponsors to help us make a success of the Patient Innovator Track. Specifically, we are looking for two types of sponsors (sponsors who take on both roles are welcome!):
- In-kind sponsors, who commit resources to help the winner take the app to the next level. This could be individuals as well
- Financial sponsors, whose support will help us cover travel costs for the patients and free admission to DevDays
In-kind sponsors may also come forward during the event. Note: we cannot guarantee the in-kind sponsors upfront.
There are no costs involved in participating in the Patient Innovator Track. You will have free access to DevDays. Travel and stay for individual patients are covered by DevDays (not for commercial companies participating in the track). Ask for the details.
For enquiries about the Patient Innovation Track, please contact Marita Mantle-Kloosterboer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Spread the word!
Check the blog from Dave deBronkart